As of right now the government is shutting down and I’ve realized a lot of my friends don’t really know this. It’s important to keep up to date on what’s going on with our countries politics. Since I don’t want to show a ton of bias in this blog, I’m going to pick a lighter topic that is kind of really funny and horribly depressing.
The topic is about the weird things our government spends money on.
- The federal government spend $3 million on studying video games such as World of Warcraft.
- The Department of Health and Human Services plans to spend $500 million on a program that will, among other things, seek to solve the problem of 5-year-old children that “can’t sit still” in a kindergarten classroom.
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture once gave researchers at the University of New Hampshire $700,000 to study methane gas emissions from dairy cows. (AKA cow farts)
- China lends us more money than any other foreign nation, but that didn’t stop our government from spending 17.8 million dollars on social and environmental programs for China.
- The federal government spends 25 billion dollars a year maintaining federal buildings that are either unused or totally vacant.
- The feds once gave Alaska Airlines $500,000 “to paint a Chinook salmon” on the side of a Boeing 737.
- The U.S. government once spent 2.6 million dollars to train Chinese prostitutes to drink responsibly.
- According to the Washington Post, the U.S. government is going to leave 7 billion dollars worth of military equipment behind in Afghanistan.
- Amazingly, U.S. taxpayers spend more than 1.4 billion dollars a year on the Obamas. Meanwhile, British taxpayers only spend about 58 million dollars on the entire royal family.
- Over the past 15 years, a total of approximately $5.25 million has been spent on hair care services for the U.S. Senate.
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture has spent $300,000 to encourage Americans to eat caviar.
- The federal government has spent $175,587 “to determine if cocaine makes Japanese quail engage in sexually risky behavior”
Hopefully you found this slightly funny not just really upsetting. America!